Rear Bushings Install Page 1/2
Page 1 and 2
The pics below are during my full suspension/brake
system rebuild. So they will be a little different than yours since
I was removing everything.
*Procedure of pressing the bushings out with just 2/3 jaw pullers
courtesy of Dale Conner & Bill Merton from MR2 forum
1) Here's a pic of what the rear TRD bushing set replaces: strut
top (blue), control arm (purple), & strut arm (yellow & red). So you
will need to remove the strut assembly and the 2 arms. The inner tie rod bushing
is not included with the kit. The only way to order it from Toyota is to purchase
the actual inner tie rod which runs about $50 from the dealer. The axle carrier
does not need to be removed completely. It will still be attached to the drive
shaft and the tie rod end.
2) Loosen lug nuts, raise & support the rear of vehicle with
jack stands. Remove wheel. (Ignore that the caliper is removed below.)
3) If you have new TRD strut tops you need to remove the strut
assemblies. If you have the set from Fensport, or don't feel like removing the
strut assemblies, goto step 4.
To save space on this page, goto my Rear
Strut Removal page.
4) Remove the two 14mm bolts holding the bottom of the axle carrier
to the lower control arm's balljoint. Then remove the control arm from the body
of the car, 17mm bolt.
5) Remove the 17mm bolt and nut holding the strut arm to the body
of the car. May need to remove one bolt of the underbody cover to get to the
6) The strut arm and control arm should come out of the car together.
You can then separate them by removing the 22mm bolt & the various other
parts holding them together. (The below pic is with the ball joint removed)
7) Here's pics of the removal of the control arm & strut rod
Go to Page 2 for the rear bushing